Hong Kong has postponed a shocking bubble of travel to Singapore due to an increase in coronavirus cases in the city, just hours after their counterpart in Singapore said it would continue.
Edward Yau, Hong Kong’s secretary of commerce for trade and economic development, announced a two-week postponement during a news conference on Saturday.
“We plan to launch the HK-Singapore tourism bubble tomorrow,” said Joe. Two weeks. “
“We will announce more, perhaps in early December, on the official launch of the project,” he added.
Singapore’s Transport Minister Ong Ye Kung announced on Twitter that the bubble had been delayed.
But hours before the flood, Singapore said the bubble would continue despite the spread of Hong Kong, with extra precautions in place to ensure safety.
“The Singapore Civil Aviation Authority has announced that the Singapore-Hong Kong Travel Air Bubble (ATB) will be launched on schedule, with passengers coming to test on arrival as a precaution.”
“Due to the changing situation in Hong Kong, Secretary Edward Yau and I discussed further this afternoon, and decided it would be better to postpone the launch of the ATB, by two weeks. Update again,” Ong said.
Hong Kong has seen a sharp rise in the number of Covid-19 cases in the past few days after weeks of low-profile cases.
Ch Chuang Shuk-kwan, head of the communicable diseases department at the Hong Kong Health Protection Center, said: She warned Saturday that the escalation would be difficult to control.